Main menu


Beware of contact lenses.. Bacteria crept in and ate a young man's eye for hours

 A Florida man has been partially blinded after sleeping with contact lenses on. In this chilling story, 21-year-old Michael Krumholz, a sports business management student in Miami, said he took a nap wearing his daily contact lenses in December 40 minutes.

 When he woke up, his left eye was red. He ignored it and just removed the lens. Over the next few days, he slowly began to lose his vision and began to experience excruciating pain.

Beware of contact lenses.. Bacteria crept in and ate a young man's eye for hours

A month later, doctors finally diagnosed him with a flesh-eating bacterial infection called acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), which can lead to permanent and severe vision loss.

carnivorous bacteria

The young man can no longer see through his left eye, only seeing flickering "black and grey" colours, which he likens to a constant on television.

Doctors say he may only regain 10 per cent of his vision after a corneal transplant, but the patient told he's only getting 1 per cent back.

The infection forced him to give up work and hobbies, including meeting friends, playing basketball and working out at the gym.

He told "I'm 21 and I've been trying to find a job in sports management in my field, but it seems impossible. No job, no social life."

He also developed photosensitivity, which means exposure to direct sunlight can be painful. The young man now spends most of his time in a room with closed curtains and dark glasses. The 20-something wore contact lenses every day for about three years before his injury.

According to experts, he contracted a rare bacterial infection. The bacteria that cause the infection are usually harmless and very common. 

They are found in lakes, streams, oceans and soil. It also has access to main water and HVAC units. But if it gets into the eye through tiny tears and scratches, it can cause an infection.

Experts say every contact lens wearer is at risk. However, people who wear contact lenses at night are at greater risk because they may contribute to the development of the condition. It also deprives the cornea of ​​oxygen at night—something that can be avoided by blinking during the day—which reduces its ability to fight the bacterial infection.

Contact lens manufacturers advise users not to wear their lenses at night to reduce the risk. They also ask people to wash their hands when putting on or taking off lenses and to carry a spare pair with them.
After a nap on December 19, the young Krumholz said his eyes were starting to feel uncomfortable. "I felt like the lens in my eye was floating [after waking up]," he told Britain's Daily Star. So I removed it without any issues. I got up the next morning to play baseball and had to take them off right away. 

Doctors initially diagnosed it as herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), which people can catch by touching their eyes. But despite antibiotic treatment, the infection in his eye worsened. Afterwards, five ophthalmologists and two cornea specialists finally checked his eyes on Jan. 21 and found a bacterial infection.


table of contents title